Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Christmas in New Zealand


Although the stores were busy, and I was aware of the hustle bustle, it also felt like a typical Saturday afternoon at almost any US mall or big box store. The consumerism here is just less than in the states. And with fifteen hours of daylight and the Kiwis preparing for summer vacations, barbecues and the beach, the feeling of Christmas didn’t quite fit. I understand that Christmas is Christmas regardless of our circumstances but I still felt a bit off balance this year.

However, none of that mattered when Carolyn and Jeff arrived on December 19th and Rachel and Elizabeth arrived on December 22nd. It still didn’t “feel” quite like Christmas, but our non-traditional Christmas was one of family and love. And we couldn’t have been happier.




Christmas Eve hike on Sledge Track











Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Epiphany all in one
 


We had a live Christmas tree, and the decorations arrived on Epiphany-perfect! The other decorations are things I have picked up through our New Zealand travels and some berries from our yard. And Kiwi crackers-how could I resist!


1 comment:

  1. It was a great Christmas! I wish we were still there! Christmas without the consumerism is just fine with me :)

    ReplyDelete