Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Great Barrier Reef


Our second day was a real adventure out to Agincourt reef in the Coral Sea. I had unknowingly signed us up for the more adventurous snorkeling experience, and Jim was thrilled! I was more than a little nervous as I attempted my first ever snorkeling out in the middle of the Coral Sea on a platform anchored to a coral reef-with no land in sight! It wasn’t easy, and we both struggled in the cold, choppy water, me more than Jim, but oh, it was so worth it to see the beautiful fish and coral! Forty-five minutes in the water was a long time, and even with a lycra suit for the possible stingers (jellyfish) and a wet suit for warmth, I was pretty happy to get back in my jeans and jersey(a jersey is a hoodie or for the very old of us, a sweatshirt jacket).  

The platform was the size of a large building


All set for the adventure!

Pretty choppy for snorkeling

Jim rented an underwater camera and took great photos!
That's me! I was such a good sport!







No comments:

Post a Comment